Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Two steps forward, one step back

I brought a bunch of fruits and vegetables today to OT.  We had discussed this last week, and Frank went food shopping with me yesterday to get them, so he actually picked out a few things himself.  He seemed pretty enthusiastic, and he's made a lot of progress recently, so I was cautiously optimistic.

We got him to try some baked potato.  Through a lot of tears, whining, and throwing himself into my lap and hiding his face.  "I...can't...I...don't...want...to!  It scares me!"

I freely admit I was not in the best frame of mind today, anyway.  I had a medical thing this morning (for details on that, you can check out my other blog, http://silverandgoldhealth.blogspot.com/).  My brain is usually a little fuzzy after that, and I sometimes am cranky, too.  These are normal reactions to IVIG infusions, so I'm not real worried about it, especially because they pretty well always disappear by the following morning.  But, mental note: OT feeding sessions are generally not good to have right after IVIG. 

So.  D, the OT, did not seem at all surprised or concerned at today's lack of results.  I, however, felt like my head was going to explode.  I tried to be calm and encouraging, but after a while I just shut up and let D do all the talking.  Really, what I wanted to do at that point was just get up and leave the two of them alone in the room- maybe that would have helped?  I don't know, but I do know that Frank totally feeds off my moods quite often. 

I've been kind of on a high recently with this.  He's using the potty for everything, all day long!  He's eating new foods!  He's very articulate about thigns when they bother him, instead of melting down!  He handles routine changes beautifully!  We're gettin' it done!  He's not going to be that weird kid in his class after all!

This evening, I am depressed about his future social prospects again.

No comments:

Post a Comment