Sunday, September 2, 2012

School starts this week!

It's going to be an interesting week. I start back at work on Tuesday.  Frank starts Thursday. My husband is working from home Tuesday and Wednesday.

Frank and I toured his new school last week.  Our tour guide was one of the office secretaries, Mrs N. Everyone was very nice and welcoming, even the principal.  We met several teachers who were in setting up their classrooms, but didn't meet his classroom teacher.  We were able to walk into his classroom, though, and he sat in his seat, briefly. 

When Frank is nervous or worried or upset about something, he simply refuses to discuss it. After we toured the school, I let him play on the playground for a while.  After we left, I asked him what he thought his school. "It's fine," was all he said.  When I sked him, "That's all?"  he responded with, "Yes, Mommy it's fine." Okay, then.

He has taken the same approach towards the death in the family. He flat out refuses to mention the decedent, and if her name is brought up, he pretends not to hear. He is still alternating between being angry at me and being very clingy, though. I'm not sure what else to do.  So much change for this child within a short time...new school, the absence of an important family member...I hope I am not screwing up here.

2 comments:

  1. You're doing everything you can do. And the fact that you are is probably a lot more important in itself than exactly what things you're doing- he knows you're there for him, he knows he has your support, and that's got to do more for his sense of safety and well-being than any specific 'things' you could do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Steph. I work with big kids, so all this little kid stuff is kind of nerve-wracking for me, especially since I never even babysat, unless you count my own siblings!

    ReplyDelete